I’ve always been a fan of natural products, way since I was a little girl and my mom transferred to me the old family recipes for “eternal beauty” as they call it.
Those are some simple DIY products that will help you achieve a beautiful look without spending a lot of money while making sure you’re not adding extra chemicals (harsh chemicals) to your body.
1. Face Scrub: we all need to exfoliate our face at least once every 2 weeks (if you have extra sensitive skin as I do this is the max, but if you are a normal person, once a week will do the trick). All you need is to mix a tablespoon of lemon juice – antiseptic and brightening for the skin – one tablespoon of coconut oil (you can replace it for extra virgin olive oil if you need it or if the coconut oil is too “oily” for your complexion) – one tablespoon of honey or maple syrup (this helps with nutrients for your skin – and the key ingredient is to add sugar as needed (probably between 1 and 2 tablespoons depending on the consistency). You will need to mix this all together to make a paste but making sure the sugar does not dissolve. Use the mask to rub it against your face in circular upward motion. Focus mostly on the T area (nose, chin, forehead) and cheeks if you tend to have large pores, this will help clean the in depth. Leave it on for 3-5 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. You can use your favorite moisturizing right after and feel the difference in your skin luminosity and texture.
2. Hair mask: there are two amazing recipes to help your hair get the shiny smoother look we all want so much! You have to start with dry hair to make sure it absorbs as much as it possible can. You have 2 key ingredients that you can use: a. Mayonnaise (a high quality one) or b. Yogurt (natural with no flavor). I hate mayonnaise’s smell so I go with the yogurt one, but you pretty much have to soak your hair ends with this yummy product, use a hair cap and apply some heat. Leave it as it is for about 60 minutes and wash it as usual. You will absolutely notice the difference. You can repeat this once a month or every 2 weeks depending on your specific needs and type of hair (dry hair may need it often than normal hair).
3. Mascara hack x2: I know you’re supposed to toss away your mascara every 2 months, but most of us don’t do actually do it 😛 so these are a couple of hacks that will help us to restore our mascara to its original glory.
1 Ad a few drops (meaning 2-5 drops max) of castor oil to your mascara tube and mix it. DO NOT mix it by pushing the wand inside the tube up and down because that generates extra air inside and makes it dry faster! Close it completely and shake it vigorously.
2. Put you mascara under HOT water. Not plastic melting hot water but faucet hot water for about 5 minutes before you use it. You will notice how it becomes just like new! You will have to do this every time you want to use it as long as you don’t buy a new one 😛
4. Armpits mask (whitening and BO regulator): if you have had an encounter with a deodorant that leaved you with more tendency to have BO or if your hormones are going crazy and you can feel a little “stinkier” than usual, OR if your underarms are a little dark from waxing or other deodorants, you can try this hack and you will notice how you will sweat almost odorless AND your armpits will be wither and cleaner than ever. It turns out it is bacteria that is responsible for the smelly armpits… and it is usually our deodorant and/or waxing routine the responsible for our darkening armpits… you can fix this by mixing 2 teaspoons of baking soda with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice! Make a running mix (more liquid than pasty) and apply it under your arms. Massage it carefully!! you don’t want to rub too harsh in this delicate area. Leave it there for 5-10 minutes and rinse with warm water. You can thank me later!
5: Sunburn hack: Aloe Vera is your very best friend! If you happen to have an Aloe Vera plant near, even better but if you don’t I recommend buying the leaf at an organic store such as Wholefoods. You need to cut it open to expose the gel inside and scoop it with a spoon. Apply the gel directly to the sunburnt area. I usually burn my face and it is so soothing. It also has some extra benefits coming from the plant itself like vitamin E and other nutrients that will help your skin to feel calm and repair itself faster than ever.
Once you feel comfortable enough to handle creams, look for a reach vitamin E to apply and keep helping your skin to regenerate in the best possible way.